History of St. Luke's Church

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

1891?? Temporary church of corrugated iron built.

1896?? Fund started to build new church

1898?? Land given by Miss I'Anson, and work begins on building the new church.

1899?? Church opened and services start.

1900?? On St Luke's day, Dr Davidson, Bishop of Winchester consecrated the church and dedicated it to St Luke.

1901?? Order in Council setting up and defining the new parish signed by King Edward VII.

1902?? A house named the Hermitage becomes the permanent vicarage.

1902?? Grayshott becomes a separate parish, having been in the parish of Headley for 800 years.

1905?? Pew rents abolished, and all seating free, except on Sunday Matins when they were free once the bell had stopped.

1906?? Electric lighting installed.

1907?? Building of the tower begins.

1910?? Tower completed together with a clock and weather cock.

1911?? Roof retiled at a cost of £250.

1915?? An electric blower organ is installed.

1916?? Additional pier added to strengthen the chancel arch.

1927?? St Luke's changed fromm being in the Diocese of Winchester to that of Guildford.

1930?? Five new bells were added and the existing ones recast.

1939?? The Chancel and Sanctuary were altered, oak panelling and a carved coloured reredos were added, and a new Altar Cross provided

1952?? The north aspect of the church roof was retiled.

1961?? The side Altar was dedicated to the memory of Canon Fielding Ottley.

1968?? A new church room was built adjacent to the church and dedicated by the Bishop of Guildford.

1969?? The diocese submitted plans to the local planning authority to build a new vicarage and to redevelop the existing vicarage site.

1972?? New vicarage occupied.

1980?? A kneeler project was organised which provided 135 designs, all individually worked by parishioners.

1985?? Cleaning of church organ costs £4,100.

1988?? A fire breaks out during the night, which is not discovered until the next morning. Much damage caused but after extensive cleaning by both volunteer and professional teams, the church looked brighter and lighter than before.

1994?? New church rooms and office completed, and opened by the Archdeacon of Surrey.

1995?? Headstone erected at the hitherto unmarked grave of Capt. Unwin VC and a short service held on the eve of the 80th anniversary of the Gallipoli campaign.

?

Home

?

?